Troubleshooting for students
Why can't I log in?
The most common issue we see when students are struggling to log in, is that they are either entering the wrong email address or trying to log in on the wrong platform.
Make sure you are entering the email address you used when you signed up and double check the spelling. Also, make sure you are logging into the correct platform. For example, if your teacher is using Canvas, log into Canvas.
Why can't I find my course to register?
If you cannot find your instructor or course when trying to self-register, first reach out to your teacher, make sure the course is set up, and find out which school the course is offered under. Then, make sure you know the exact name of the course and try again. If you are still having issues, contact GoReact Customer Support.
Note: To register for LMS courses (Canvas, Blackboard, D2L, etc.) just open the applicable assignment within your LMS.
Why is it saying I am out of time and can't record?
If you are getting a message that says the account is out of time you will need to contact your instructor. Your instructor should be able to contact Customer Support and resolve the situation.
Why am I getting a "Shucks" message?
If you are getting a message that says "Shucks! Check your computer's time . . .," it is most likely because your computer's time is not set according to your location. To check this, navigate to your computer's clock settings and make sure that your Time Zone, Time, and daylight savings are all set automatically.
Steps for Mac users:
- Click the time on the upper right of your computer screen and from the drop-down menu select "Open Date & Time Preferences".
- Click the lock icon on the bottom left and enter your Mac password to make changes.
- On the Date & Time tab, make sure the "Set date and time automatically" box is checked and set to Apple Americas/U.S. (time.apple.com) if you are in America or Apple Asia if you are in Asia, etc.
- Navigate to the Time Zone tab and make sure the "Set time zone automatically using current location" box is checked
- Click the lock icon on the bottom left, refresh your browser, and try to upload again
Steps for Windows users:
- Hit the Windows Key + S and type in Services. Then select Services from the menu.
- When the Services window opens locate "Windows Time" service and double-click.
- Under the Startup type section select "Automatic".
- Check the Service Status. If it is running click "Stop" and the "Start" again. If the service is not running then click the "Start" button.
- Click "Apply" and "Ok".
- Reboot your computer. If you are still getting the "Shucks...." message then we need to change the time server.
- To change the time server hit Windows +S and type in Control Panel. Then select Control Panel from the menu.
- Once the Control panel opens, navigate to Clock, Language, and Region and click on "Date and Time"
- Navigate to "Internet Time" and click the "Change Settings" button.
- In the Server section select "time.nist.gov" and click "Update Now"
- Click "Ok" to save the changes.
- Reboot your computer and retry your upload.
If you are still seeing the message after checking your computer's time, contact GoReact Customer Support.
Why is my recording screen black?
Recording screens go black if there is no camera activity, Adobe Flash is not updated, installed, or enabled, or GoReact does not have access to your camera. To check this, review our Adobe Flash document.
Why is my video choppy or blurry?
GoReact captures the video delivered by your webcam according to your webcam quality, computer performance, AND the speed/reliability of the internet connection to the recording computer. (Please note that virtual desktop environments will not work well with GoReact. Lag and choppy video quality cannot be corrected in a virtual environment.)
If the video quality is poor, do the following:
- Run through the Video Recording Checklist to make sure you've optimized your recording environment for the best possible quality. That includes computing power and internet connection.
- If you are still unable to make a quality recording in your particular environment, you may wish to either record with offline equipment (camcorder or mobile device) and upload your video, or record in a different environment (different computer and/or internet connection).
Why won't my audio work?
There are a few things that might cause your audio to not work, but first, you should make sure Adobe Flash is up-to-date and enabled on your browser. See Checking Adobe Flash. If your audio plays back garbled or with poor quality, this could be a result of either the mic/camera being too close or too far from the presenter, or poor microphone hardware. Do some test recordings with various distances to identify which is causing the issue. If needed, try recording with another webcam. GoReact will record whatever audio is sent to it from the recording hardware.
If you have no sound on your video then it is most likely because your microphone settings are not correct. Make sure you have the correct microphone input selected from the drop-down menu on the top of your recording screen. Also, you can test whether GoReact is picking up audio by watching the audio meter on the lower left. Red is too loud, yellow is too soft, and green is good sound. You can adjust how much sound we receive by moving the slider next to the audio meter.
Why can't I see my peers' videos?
By default, GoReact prevents students from seeing each others' videos. If the instructor wants students to review each other's videos, they will need to enable Peer Critique on the activity. If you feel like you should see your peers' videos but do not, you will need to contact your instructor to enable Peer Critique on the activity.